Thursday 12 April 2012

Day #12

Today I pretty much spent in my room, but I managed to get a few things done!  I started on chapter 6 of my theory textbook and I got about half way done.  It takes a lot of effort to focus on that...I had forgotten!!  Tomorrow evening I should be done with that chapter,  There's a lot to remember.


DAILY VOCAL PRACTICE SESSION #10
     30 minutes warm up and 45 minutes rep - Alleluja and La Danza

VIEWING OF RECORDED OPERA #2
     "I Puritani" (Bellini) starring Anna Netrebko, Eric Cutler, Franco Vassler, John Relyea, Eduardo Valdes.  Filmed in 2007 at the Met this is the story of a 16 year old Elvira who was to marry Riccardo, but then fell in love with Arturo.  Of course, this is an opera and that was destined to fail.  Elvira goes crazy after thinking she was abandoned" by Arturo and has a 30 minute long mad scene.  I knew there was going to be some amazing singing from the first act.  Riccardo's first aria is quite difficult in that there is not much melody line to follow.  The voice is exposed and the passages are long.  I know Eric Cutler is supposed to be an amazing tenor, but something about his high notes was unpleasant to listen to - maybe I wanted them to be a bit rounder/fuller sounding.  Netrebko's singing and acting are effortless and natural, which is a feat considering how difficult her role is and that she has several powerhouse high notes sprinkled throughout the opera.  Yeah, um, the stuff I am working on now is NOTHING compared to what she does and what I'm doing I'm having trouble with...oh my!  Other great singers who have done this role include Maria Callas, Joan Sutherland, Beverly Sills, and Montserrat Caballe.  Now I am interested to hear their interpretations as compared to Anna's.  One thing is for sure - she is fit and so beautiful to watch.  

HEALTH CONSCIOUS MEAL #12
     Killed two birds with one stone...watching the opera and having a snack of muesli and rice milk.

...DAILY INSPIRATION...

No comments:

Post a Comment